Stripes

Standard

This week I have mostly been creating stripes, in the form of the bag I mentioned the other day.  Here it is so far:

Look at the lovely, yummy stripes! And this is the bottom:

However, it has been at this stage for a few days, because as I was working my mind was wandering. I thought to myself “I like this circle bag. It will look good when it’s finished. But I wonder what a rectangular bag would look like? How could I make one of those?” So the circle bag was put down and I started experimenting with a rectangular bag.

For my first attempt I made a long foundation chain, then worked dc (US sc) all the way along it on both sides. When I’d worked all the way around I repeated this with another colour. It was at this point that I realised my mistake – I’d made the chain as long as I wanted the bottom of the bag to be, not taking into account the fact that it was going to get bigger with each round I worked – d’oh! So it would end up being much bigger than I wanted. But the work was not wasted – it will now become a strap for one of the bags.

Second time around I decided to make a very short chain and work rows of 9 dc. I also worked with 2 strands of wool and a 5mm hook to make the bottom slightly more sturdy. When it was the right length I changed colour and, still using 2 strands of wool, worked a border of dcs all the way around. Then using the same colour but one strand and a 4mm hook, I began to work rounds of htrs (US hdc).

I’m using Stylecraft Special DK with the most delicious sounding names! From dark to light they are Lipstick, Pomegranate, Fondant, Candyfloss and Cream. Good enough to eat (perhaps with the exception of Lipstick – that would just be weird).

As you can see, the corners are not very defined, so I think I’ll probably blanket stitch along them when it’s finished.

I’ve also spent a little time this morning sort out my wool. A couple of balls were getting near the end and starting to get pretty tangled up!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So they’ve gone from looking like this…

To looking like this! Much easier to work with 🙂

Advertisements

5 responses »

  1. Lovely colours and definitely tasty sounding 😉 Did it naturally curve upwards as you worked? Looking forward to seeing how it progresses 🙂

    • The curving upwards bit happens when you don’t work 2 in each corner – when working around the bottom I worked 1 dc into each stitch, but 2 into each corner (just like on a granny square). But to make the sides I just stopped these increase stitches and worked 1 dc or htr into each stitch all the way round. Simples!

  2. Pingback: Making progress « cuteasabutton82

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s