Monthly Archives: March 2015

Easter Bonnets

Standard

I’m sure schools all over the world are taking part in Easter bonnet parades this week. In our school the children in KS1 make bonnets or hats and children in KS2 make a model. Some of the children (and their parents!) get very creative! We then walk the whole school around the village with the children wearing their hats or carrying their models. Lots of people from the village come out to see what the children have made and there’s a lovely festive atmosphere. These are some of the fantastic hats and models that children in my class made for the occastion.

DSCN2776 DSCN2778 DSCN2779 DSCN2782 DSCN2783 DSCN2785 DSCN2787 DSCN2791 DSCN2793 DSCN2795

All this springy/Eastery creativity has made me want to go to Hobbycraft and buy all sorts of lovely supplies to make my own Easter bonnet!

Advertisements

Peg bag

Standard

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine smashed a hole in my concrete garden and put up my washing line. I got all excited about being able to hang my washing outside again – then realised that I had no pegs! I hurried out to buy some and greatly enjoyed hanging my washing out in the sunshine. However, my beg bag looked like this:

DSCN2707

Not pretty! I woke up this morning wanting to make something and, with several piles of washing to get through, a peg bag seemed like the perfect Saturday morning project.

I had a little look on Pinterest and found a pattern for this bag:

photo of a peg bag

I was going to adapt it slightly by adding a long strap and had some fabric in mind. But as I was rummaging for said fabric, I came across a pair of pink shorts.

DSCN2715

I’d bought them in a sale several years ago because I liked the fabric!

DSCN2719

I think they were super cheap (probably about £1) and have been stuffed away in my fabric box ever since. But they suddenly seemed the perfect thing for a peg bag!

I started by cutting the bottom off to make it straight.

DSCN2724

I also cut a section out of the back because they were a bit too wide.

DSCN2725

Then I got out Granny’s old sewing machine to stitch the edges. And this is where the process became a whole lot slower! I’ve not used the machine for a long time (in fact, the last time was probably when I was a teenager and Granny was sitting next to me explaining what I needed to do) and although I have the original manual, the language is slightly old fashioned and it takes a while to work out what it all means.

DSCN2730

Eventually I managed to wind thread on to the bobbin, attach it correctly (it took a few tries!) and get the thread ready for stitching. It coped surprising well on even the thickest parts of the fabric, but I found that the thread kept breaking – so frustrating. It ended up looking pretty messy! If I was giving this to someone else I’d probably have lined it to hide the mess – but since it’s only for me I decided not to bother. Anyway, I adjusted the tension and, even though I made it worse to start with, I managed to get it right in the end.

DSCN2739

I trimmed the bit I’d cut off so I could use it as a strap. I also cut some plain fabric to back it, then stitched both sides together before turning it the right way round.

DSCN2746

I hand stitched the strap in place. At this point Maisie decided to ‘help’ me. It’s actually really hard to sew with a cat in the way – she kept twitching and trying to catch the thread.

DSCN2752

Anyway, when the strap was attached I filled it with pegs and put it to use straight away.

DSCN2758

DSCN2762

It’s a slightly different pink to the other things on the back of the kitchen door, but I figure the more pinks I can get in my kitchen, the better!

DSCN2763