Tag Archives: cable

Cable cushion cover

Standard

Hello everyone, how has your day been? My day has felt pretty good because a) it has been sunny nearly all day and b) I finally finished my cable cushion cover! And just in time too – it’s my Aunt’s birthday tomorrow – phew!

Here it is, all knitted up and ready to be sewn together.

The button holes went a little squiffy – I’m never really sure how to do them, even when I’m following instructions (in this case my Mother’s advice), so end up just kind of guessing and making it up.

But after working blanket stitch around them they look a lot neater! And thankfully the buttons are pretty big, so they will hide any messiness 🙂

Here’s the bottom flap sewn together…

…and the whole thing. It looks so skinny against the cushion!

It’s always at this stage that I start wondering – is it really big enough? But thankfully it was!

And here’s the back.

I’m working on writing out the pattern, but it may take a little while – I’ve used lots of my own random shorthand, which actually doesn’t mean much to anyone (even me when I haven’t looked at it for a while!) But I’ll let you know when it’s finished 🙂

What a difference a day makes

Standard

Yesterday I saw some of the worst flooding I’ve seen around here for years. I didn’t have my camera with me on my adventurous drive, but my friend took this picture. It’s pretty similar to some of the sights my friend and I saw. Trees and debris all over the place and a whole lot of water.

Today couldn’t be more different. It’s beautifully sunny and warm and just like a day in July should be.

I’ve made the most of it and hung out some washing. These are the 2 tablecloths I’m planning to use next week at my sale. I knew that if I didn’t hang them out now I may not have another chance all week!

The cloth on the right is a fairly new one, just plain and boring. But the one on the left is one which I think my Granny made (although I need to check that). It’s looking fairly worn in places, and needs a little TLC to get it looking lovely again. Sadly I don’t think I’m going to have time to stitch it up before Saturday, but I’ll try to arrange it so the most worn bits are either hidden at the back of the table or under something else!

I’ve finished the last few lavender bags…

…and here they are all together.

I’m really happy with them, but I need more, so I’m sitting watching the tennis and stitching away. I’ll show you how they look later in the week.

Before I get back to my lavender I just want to share with you Alternative Use for a Crochet Hook No. 3:

Use it as a cable needle! I was struggling to sleep last night – I was really tired but my mind was buzzing with all sorts of ideas. One of them was inspired by tinyinc. After reading about my cable cushion cover, she sent me a link to some cable work she’s done. I thought her cushion covers were great, but especially loved her hot water bottle covers. My mind went whizzing away, and I thought to myself, “I wonder if that would work as a wheat bag cover?”

The thought came and went pretty quickly, but then came buzzing back around when I was trying to sleep. I thought I might as well try it out just to pass time whilst trying to sleep, but I couldn’t find my cable needle. My hook pouch was right in my line of sight and Hey Presto! A makeshift cable needle. It actually works pretty well too 🙂

I’m happy with how the cover’s going so far – now all I need to do is get some wheat to make up some bags to go inside.

Cable cushion

Standard

The last few days, as well as trying to dodge the rain and coping with a class full of small children who have been cooped up for way too long, I’ve been doing a lot of knitting. I’ve not done much knitting since Christmas, mostly because I fell in love with crochet. But last week I picked up something I started way back at the beginning of the year. In fact, I even mentioned it in one of my very early posts – and have not worked on it since!

This is the cushion cover that my Aunt and Uncle asked me to make. I made one for them for Christmas and they asked for a matching one. Well, I lost interest (as I’m sure you can guess by the fact that I haven’t worked on it for so long!) but Mum asked if I’d finish it for my Aunt’s birthday – which is next week! So I’m frantically trying to get it all done in time.

I’m making good progress though – I have got half the back (which was nearly finished anyway) and the whole of the front done and I’m nearly halfway through the second part of the back. Hurrah – the end is in sight!

I’m really hoping that I get it done soon so I can make more goodies in time for my stall in a couple of weeks…