Tag Archives: embroidery

Beautiful bargain

Standard

After quite a time spent in procrastination this morning, I’m pleased to announce that I did actually get some work done – eventually. My major sources of distraction this morning were pretty blogs. The big problem with blogs is that they often link to others. So I’ll be reading through a post and click on a link for another pretty blog. That next blog will also have several links to blogs I’ve never seen before, and before you know it I’ve spent all morning drooling over gorgeous projects and not a scrap of work has been done. I’m guessing that I’m not the only one with this problem (am I?!) and that pretty blogs probably contribute fairly substantially to procrastination levels worldwide.

Anyway, I managed to drag myself away from the distractions long enough to mostly plan Sunday school before I went out for my meeting. And as a reward for actually getting something productive done I stopped in town on my way home to browse through charity shop goodies.

Charity shops have not always been my favourite places – I never liked (and am still not particularly keen on) the smell of them as a child, but I’ve got over that now as I realise there can be some fantastic finds if you spend a little time looking. My bargain today came from the bottom of a crate of linen goods, mostly napkins and table runners. I came across a bundle of 3 napkins with pretty embroidery in the corner. They would have been perfect for making some buttons from, but at £2 for 3 they were more than I can afford right now. I put them back and carried on rummaging and found the greatest bargain – a small tablecloth for £1.20!

And it’s just covered in embroidery!

Each corner has the same design, but in different colours – purple…

…blue…

…yellow/orange…

…pink.

I love these little flowers which are dotted around.

There are one or two small stains in places, but as I’ll be cutting it up for buttons it really doesn’t matter to me. There may even be one or two other projects that come out of this beauty – I’m just waiting for inspiration to hit!

It’s whizzing around in the washing machine right now, and I’ll give it a good old iron before I get started on cutting it up. In some respects it’s a bit of a shame to ‘vandalise’ it with scissors, but I figure it’s better to make use of things in a new format rather than let them sit unloved and gathering dust elsewhere.

(By the way, blame the photo quality on the weather – it’s so gloomy all the time at the moment that I’m finding it really hard to get a good picture!)

Advertisements

Buttons, buttons, buttons

Standard

I have finally finished – 100 blank buttons successfully covered in little circles of fabric and topped with a mini button. It’s taken all week and some very sore fingers to get to this point, but I’m really pleased with them! I only hope the buyer loves them as much as I do…

Shall we have a look? I couldn’t get them all in one picture very easily, so decided to take pictures in small batches.

These ones came from a charity shop find. My buyer had said taht she liked vintage fabrics and particularly those with embroidery. This isn’t particularly vintage, but does have some lovely stitching – and it was a bargain at £1! This is how the design looked before I cut it up…

More buttons…

Similarly, these buttons were made from napkins with a little flower in each corner. I wasn’t too sure about them as each flower is really quite small, but the napkins are made from a really lovely cotton fabric which I’m sure I’ll be able to use for other projects. And they were a super bargain at £1.25 for 8 🙂

The rest were made with a range of fabrics that I had in my fabric box, mostly cottons that I’ve used for quilt making.

I don’t know why, perhaps it’s because I’ve been working with buttons so much this week, but as I was drifting off to sleep last night I had another buttony idea – earrings! I’ve had some silver earring posts and backs for a while.

I’m not sure why I got them in the first place, but were ideal for this. After finding some matching buttons I squidged a dab of superglue on to each post and attached them to the buttons (being very careful not to stick my fingers together in the process!) …

…and after a minute or two I had a pair of earrings. And then 2 more pairs – pretty!