When I moved into my house I ended up with 5 mismatched dining chairs. I don’t really mind the mismatched look, but some of the chairs had definitely seen better days! They were grubby and one was slightly torn. Here they are in their original state…
I decided that fresh fabric would do them the world of good. I bought this lovely spotty fabric (I was tempted by some stripes, but decided it would probably end up looking wonky!) and was ready to get started.
I started with the chair that Mum covered a few years ago. I took off the cream fabric and used it as a template for the first cover.
After ironing it (using lots of spray starch to get rid of all the creases) I began stapling it in place, making sure that I pulled it tight on each side.
The end result was pretty scruffy on the bottom…
…but I was really pleased with the top.
And it looked even better actually on the chair!
I’m sure this isn’t the most professional way to add new fabric to a chair seat, but it’s quick and easy! I timed the last one and it only took me 15 minutes from taking the seat off the chair to putting back on again. That included cutting and ironing the fabric and beating the dust out of the seat!
Here are the finished chairs, still mismatched but looking a whole lot better than before.
My ‘new’ chairs make me smile every time I walk through the room!