I don’t often feel the need to do housework kind of things. There are always much more interesting things to be doing with my time (mostly involving wool or pretty fabrics). But every now and then I feel the need to sort things out, and that feeling set in this week. So yesterday I got started. I decided that as well as cleaning it would be a good time to de-clutter too. I’m a terrible hoarder and I haveloadsof things that I’ve had for years, ‘just in case they might be useful one day’. I also have a lot of equipment and embellishments that I used to use a lot, but haven’t touched in at lease 6 years.
So it’s time to do some re-homing and some throwing away. I started with the windowsill – not particularly cluttered, but definately in need of a clean. I then moved on to the top of my dressing table and the top drawer. And that was as far as I got! It took me all day to do those 3 areas, and in the process got rid of two and a half bin bags full of stuff! I didn’t take a before photo, but this is how pretty and lovely it’s looking now:
Not the best quality picture I’m afraid, and there is still a lot of work to do all around, but I’m loving this little bit! The pots on the right are re-used Innocent Veg Pots, covered in the beautiful papers that came free with issue 13 of Simply Homemade. A bit of double sided tape and 10 minutes later and ta-dah – a couple of beautiful storage pots!
I also decided to make a new runner for the top of the dressing table. I had been using a bright(ish) purple sarong with purple tassles which I’d had for years. But it had faded a lot and I wanted a different look. So after rummaging through my overflowing fabric box I settled on a lovely floral Clark & Clark fabric. I also decided to make a lacy crochet edging for it. But as usual, I got distracted! This is one thing I’ll definately finish though, even if it takes a little while.
I worked blanket stitch around the edge with cream embroidery thread, then worked groups of 6 double crochet stitches (US sc) into each part of the blanket stitch. But it took a lot more thread than I thought, so only got as far as one of the short edges. I really hope there’s enough to do the other short edge, but I’m not sure there will be. But I’ll face that problem when I get to it.
Anyway, last night I went to bed feeling pretty tired, but my mind was racing round in circles. Don’t you just hate when that happens? For some reason some of my wooden storage boxes kept popping into my mind. At first I thought about painting them in pretty pastel colours. But that seemed like it would take far too long! Then I got thinking about my papers. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have different but co-ordinating draws? So first thing this morning, even before breakfast, I got started. This is nearly a before shot (only thought about it after I’d done the first one). And can you see just how messy and untidy it is all around? That drawer that’s poking out – it’s been like that for months because it was just too full.
So as well as making the drawers look beautiful, I emptied each one out and gave them a thorough sorting. In the process I discovered lots of things I’d completely forgotten about, and many things that I just don’t need any more. So there will be 2 bags of goodies going to a couple of my friends who will make much better use of them!
Anyway, here are the finished drawers:
And the bottom ones:
And all together:
I still have one more set to finish off, but will hopefully get those sorted tomorrow. And tidy up all the stuff that is now all over the floor. And sort out the rest of the room. On second thoughts, I think it’s going to take more than just tomorrow.